Production Support Engineer
Location: Remote (must be based out of US / Canada)
Travel: Less than 10%
Manages Others: No
Education: Completed Diploma in relevant field or higher (or equivalent experience)
Experience: 3+ years of experience with application support as a developer in a complex cloud and software development environment (some Ruby experience), strong problem-solving skills, experience troubleshooting and triaging big reports and errors.
Reporting to the Vice President of Software Technology, the successful candidates will be responsible for troubleshooting and triaging issues across our tech stack to help validate and verify the quality of our software solutions. You have a great passion for modern technology, and you are driven by your energy to identify and resolve complex problems. If you have strong problem-solving abilities that can be applied in a fast-paced environment, and an aptitude for learning new technologies, this position offers numerous growth opportunities and a long-lasting career with BusPatrol.
What we need you to do:
- Support BusPatrol's applications during development and through production
- Troubleshoot and triage bug reports and errors
- Identify, scope, escalate, and document production problems to the development team
- Observe and report on Application Performance Monitoring (APM) and logging dashboards
- Implement break fixes and resolve database errors.
- Interact with developers, QA/SDET engineers, and technical support teams to troubleshoot errors and implement solutions
- Regularly conduct research and offer management insight into industry best-practices and processes
- Work in a collaborative, quality focused role with agile development teams
- Document and report on system issues using JIRA and other tools.
What you bring:
- 3+ years of experience with application support as a developer in a complex cloud and software development environment
- Post-secondary education in Computer Science, Engineering, the Sciences or Mathematics, or equivalent experience
- Ruby (required) and Python (nice to have) development experience
- Incident management experience in production systems
- Experience using Github for version control and branch logic
- Experience working on or with QA/SDET Dev teams
- Experience using any Application Performance Monitoring/Logging tools (ex. AppSignal, DataDog, etc.)
- Extensive experience in bug fixes and application triage (ex: using irb/rails console on a production linux server)
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Hands-on working experience with Windows and Mac OS
- Experience with CI/CD workflows is preferred (Jenkins, AWS CodeBuild)
- Hands-on working experience with relational databases (MySQL, PGSQL, AWS Aurora) (nice to have)
- Able to understand the nature and workflow of complex business and technical processes
- Strong analytical skills with ability to formulate solutions for complex problems
- Previous experience with a containerized environment (Docker, AWS ECS) is desired
- Familiarity with ticketing systems and process flows, such as Jira.
- Site Reliability Engineering experience (nice to have)
Who We Are:
Our mission is to create a culture of responsibility and awareness on the road. We are devoted to making the journey to and from school safer. We develop partnerships, deploy Safety Tech and manage the entire program. We have equipped thousands of buses across North America with our innovative technology and we continue to educate tens of thousands of drivers a month on safety. BusPatrol America cares about student safety. We educate motorists every day by helping to enforce the law and work with school officials to improve safety.
What We Offer:
- An opportunity to help build a company dedicated to children’s safety
- The chance to join an innovative and dedicated team, focused on leading edge technology
- The opportunity to work with, and learn from, a talented business and marketing team
- Competitive salary and benefits package
We’re looking for critical members of the BusPatrol team to assist us in our quest to improve children’s safety. This is an important role for us and a great opportunity for the right candidates. Our environment is inclusive, diverse, ignited, built on integrity, and deeply committed. Come and help us keep our children safe.